Dastrup Dental: Joseph Dastrup, DDS-An Overview

People must take special care of their teeth in order to maintain their strength and health. Cavities form as a result of rotting teeth, which eventually dissolve the tooth. When foods containing starches and sugars, such as cereals, breads, milk, cake, and fruit, are left on your teeth, tooth decay occurs. Acids, bacteria, saliva, and food particles combine to form plaque, which, as you would expect, adheres to teeth. Plaque acids eat away at the enamel on the teeth, causing cavities to form.If you’re looking for more tips, Dastrup Dental: Joseph Dastrup, DDS-Dentist Davidson NC has it for you.

You can have a cavity if you have a toothache, particularly after drinking cold beverages or consuming sweet or cold foods. A clear pit in the tooth is another symptom of tooth decay. By taking an X-ray of your teeth, a dentist will determine whether you have a cavity.

Your cavity can be drilled out and replaced with a gold filling or composite resin by a dentist. Don’t worry, the restorative materials used to fill cavities are completely sterile. Silver amalgam and other restorative materials seldom cause allergic reactions. While there have been concerns about the safety of silver, mercury-based amalgams, the FDA believes that they are safe.

You should see a dentist right away if you have a toothache or find a dark chip or mark on your tooth. You can need a crown if your tooth decay is serious. If you need a crown, the decayed portion of your tooth is removed and discarded, and a crown is placed over it. Crowns are usually made of porcelain, gold, or porcelain that has been fused to metal.
A root canal is needed if the decay has caused the nerve of your tooth to die. The nerve and decayed portion of the tooth are removed during a root canal operation, the root is filled, and a crown is placed over the tooth. Keep in mind that some dentists do not have root canal services, so if your cavity is impacting the root of your tooth, you’ll need to find a doctor who does. A dentist may also refer you to a specialist who specialises in root canals.